Monday, June 03, 2002

Books I'm reading right now (kind of grazing among three of them):

1. Fast Food Nation, by Eric Schlosser. Favorite quote so far: "Much of the taste and aroma of American fast food, for example, is now manufactured off the New Jersey Turnpike."

2. On The Greek Style, by George Seferis. An excellent collection of essays and lectures from the Nobel Prize-winning Greek author.

3. Bully For Brontosaurus, by Stephen J. Gould. Bought ages ago, never read. Then the big guy has to go and die. Well, I must say I'm sorry I didn't start this book sooner. I've always had enormous respect for Mr. Gould, but I had no idea how far and wide his interests actually ranged. Everything fascinated him, from the evolutionary biology of sea snails to the ironies of historical accidents to comparative linguistics to the agony of the Boston Red Sox, and he had a singular gift for sharing his enthusiasm for the world with the world.