Sunday, July 28, 2002

Another baseball link, since it was that kind of day. My brother informed me that the costume of the Phillie Phanatic, the mascot for the Philadelphia Phillies, was inducted into the National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum's permanent collection yesterday. Go Phanatic! Other teams' mascots simply pale in comparison.

Oh, yeah, and before I forget - I found a picture of E.A. Sophocles, the esteemed Greek-born Harvard classicist who has become the unofficial patron saint of The Greek Institute. The director tells me that Sophocles used to raise chickens, who would follow him all over Harvard Yard. And I learned only today that although the man taught Greek at Harvard for almost forty years and authored many books on Greek grammar, vocabulary, and literature, he had never completed a formal college education, although he went on to accumulate no less than four honorary degrees. What a fascinating individual.