Wednesday, October 02, 2002

A funny thing - the less I have to do here at work, the less often I update the blog. There's something about vast oceans of free time that turns my ability to focus into mush. Or maybe it's just the TheraFlu, which I've been guzzling in piping hot liquid form in order to combat a sore throat and general feelings of ickiness. The TheraFlu seems to be working rather nicely, but if you ever try this stuff yourself, be sure to follow the directions and stir those contents like a maniac before drinking, because the dregs are murder to get down if you don't. Gah!

I was thinking of something witty and insightful to say about the latest antics of Dubya and Company, but then this week's Onion had to go and beat me to the punch. I'd post the headline, but I'm not allowed to. Ah, The Onion - in my opinion, their coverage of the September 11th attacks - aka, the Holy Fucking Shit Issue - is still the bravest piece of humor out there about the events of that awful Tuesday. While the talking heads of America were going on and on about "the death of irony" in the feverish days following 9/11, the master ironists at The Onion, undeterred by the pundits, were busy putting together what would be their finest work. I remember how good it felt to be able to laugh, after two whole weeks of gut-twisting fear and anger (Volume 37, Issue 34 came out on September 26th). Wickedly good satire may not prevent the world from going to Hell in a handbasket, but at least it'll make the ride a bit more pleasant. I call shotgun!