Monday, February 24, 2003

Tonight, at 9:30 on CBS: My Big Fat Grssk Life.

Someone should tell Hollywood that Σ is an "s", not an "e". You'd imagine that this was pointed out somewhere along the line by Nia Vardalos, creator and star of the new sitcom (as well as the enjoyable hit movie about a Grssk wedding), or one of the myriad Greek actors involved in either venture. Or by Rita Wilson, wife of Tom Hanks and producer of My Big Fat Grssk Wedding, who happens to be half-Greek herself. At least you hope it was brought up. What galls me most about this is that the movie was a sweet and extremely funny celebration of what it means to be Greek, something I've had the greatest pleasure to experience firsthand, thanks to my wife Maria and her very large, very Greek family. Mangling something so simple as the Greek alphabet in the course of promoting a movie about Greeks is silly at best, frightfully ignorant at worst.

Well, at least the show was halfway decent. Καλη τυχη to Ms. Vardalos and her costars! I'll be watching and laughing while I write my angry letters.