Wednesday, March 12, 2003

I wasted no time this morning. I'm now almost a thousand words into Chapter Two, and finding that the words are still flowing. Well, maybe it's less of a flow and more of a torrent. Everything I know about this fictional universe that I've inhabited off and on for over ten years now is going to come out in this novel, one way or the other, a grand catharsis that every creative cell in my body has been yearning for since I invented this alternate earth. Getting this place onto paper will free me in more ways than one, but the most important result of finishing the book I'm writing will be that the universe it describes will at last be established, a real imaginary locale that I will then be able to visit and revisit as I please, and get who knows how many other short stories and novels out of in the process. This first work lays the foundation, as it literally takes the protagonist around the known world, and in the end deposits him at its center, from which most of the other fiction I'm thinking about writing in this universe will proceed. So this is the one I had to write first - the others would just be icing on an already tasty cake.

Mmm. Tasty-Kake.